Tuesday, May 10, 2011

ll wrap you up and dont bounce your head around.

 sir
 sir. Why do you get yourself woundedYou can make fun of the priest.I sat in the reception hail of the villa.Shall we sit here or go out in the gardenLets go out. He slapped me on the shoulder. Priest wants Austrians to win the war. Those of us that were awake talked across the ward. They say if you can prove you did any heroic act you can get the silver.He should have fine girls.Ill bring it to you.I pressed her hand. wont you She looked up at me. There had been a little town but it was all rubble. I wished I were in Milan with her.

 Youve been away a long time.I ate the end of my piece of cheese and took a swallow of wine. she said. on the street. Nobody knew anything about it although they all spoke with great positiveness and strategical knowledge. I will take you to call. It is a disgrace that they should stay so long that they become friends. There is only one difference between taking a girl who has always been good and a woman.So long.Rinaldi went out with me. We do get along.And you call me CatherineCatherine. It ought to be good. All the officers were very happy.

You are sweet. I must do something about getting you out of here.Splendid. What an odd thing--to be in the Italian army. as I said. He was dressed.No.Ive heard about it.All right.I left them working.Youre a good old boy.Have you any cheeseThe major spoke grudgingly to the orderly who ducked back into the hole again and came out with a quarter of a white cheese.I went back to the majors dugout and he said the field kitchen would be along and the drivers could come and get their stew. Do you have to take me to that regimentYes.

There arent enough troops here for a real attack. I kissed both her shut eyes. Everybody hates this war. Let everybody defend his home.Then well have to work. I saluted too but more moderately. There were mists over the river and clouds on the mountain and the trucks splashed mud on the road and the troops were muddy and wet in their capes their rifles were wet and under their capes the two leather cartridge-boxes on the front of the belts.Rinaldi poured himself another glass of the cognac. The orderly was listening behind the desk. green and dark to the snow line and then white and lovely in the sun. Take a drink.Like the Tchecos. and found we still lived in the same house and that it all looked the same as when I had left it. Nothing to do.

And you call me CatherineCatherine. she said. three men nurses and a doctor and picked you up out of bed and carried you into the dressing room so that the beds could be made while we were having our wounds dressed. Come with me if you want. The Englishman broke into voluble and perfect Italian.We must shut up.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant.It would be fine if you would take the cars. You get out and fall down by the road and get a bump on your head and Ill pick you up on our way back and take you to a hospital. It is a disgrace that they should stay so long that they become friends. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. He was walking with a limp.If everybody would not attack the war would be over. I said.

I will get it for you. British ambulance drivers were killed sometimes.Wop.Better not drink too much brandy then. The little major looked at us furious. said the driver in Italian looking at the hernia man.Were you in the StatesSure. Your lovely cool goddess.No. Messina.He stood up and put on his gloves. Outside the sergeant adjutant knelt down beside me where I lay. We do not like the English.Ill be right here.

 The King was good but dull. said the priest. maggiore (next to the little finger). Tell me.Shes on duty. Where have you beenIve been out on post.Could I see her just for a momentThey sent an orderly to see and she came back with him. Its in the bulletin. but the nights were cool and there was not the feeling of a storm coming.You ought to have let me know.Im not drunk.The Germans too. In the meantime we were all at the mess. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead.

In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains. He stopped and sat down beside the road.He does really. Miss Barkley prefers you to me. This was a strange and mysterious war zone but I supposed it was quite well run and grim compared to other wars with the Austrians. Signor Tenente. There were three others to locate. said the captain. I hope shes not ill. I just couldnt stand the nurseseveningoff aspect of it. Every night priest five against one! They all laughed again. In the bed of the river there were pebbles and boulders. Up the river the mountains had not been taken; none of the mountains beyond the river had been taken. he said to me.

 You get out and fall down by the road and get a bump on your head and Ill pick you up on our way back and take you to a hospital. blunt-nosed ambulances. the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American. and I spoke Italian. Middle name First name Rank Where born What class What corps and so on. Rinaldi poured another glass. Then we saw a horse ambulance stopped by the road. his hands moving very fast and the bandage coming taut and sure. Everybody hates this war. brought by Gordini who looked very white and sick.Listen to him talk about the Abruzzi. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right. then stopped and kissed her. Nobody was in sight.

 I will get you a copy. Your lovely cool goddess. It was a hot day and there were many flies in the room. To the silver medal. father. said the major.Im quite well. I had met two gunners from that lot.Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians. I asked him what happened and he said.Come on.He should have fine girls.This is the third day.What is her nameFerguson.

 youre very good. she said. There was an English there. There is no finish to a war. How are the girlsThere are no girls.They are big through the chest by measurement.It could not be worse. Are they going to have an offensiveYes. Theres no work now.About the soup. I love you too much. A mass loosened. Passini said still respectfully.I have to go.

 That is true.We think. All the drivers wore puttees but Passini had only one leg. We were supposed to wear steel helmets even in Gorizia but they were uncomfortable and too bloody theatrical in a town where the civilian inhabitants had not been evacuated. They would take me as soon as possible. then came the chuh chuhchuh chuh then there was a flash. I said. I said.You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English. It was all right if she was. it seemed. The little major looked at us furious. then. Underneath we are the same.

 opened it. he said. I thought it would be worse for him.What is her nameFerguson. I said.Ill get some. Could I join nowIm afraid not now. that looked chalky white and furrowed.Do we eat yet. You dont pronounce it very much alike. Every one laughed. What made it pretty was that it sounded like Island. He brought them over to me. Rinaldi said goodnight.

 I leaned forward in the dark to kiss her and there was a sharp stinging flash. There were mists over the river and clouds on the mountain and the trucks splashed mud on the road and the troops were muddy and wet in their capes their rifles were wet and under their capes the two leather cartridge-boxes on the front of the belts. They all ask for you. She waved and I kissed my hand and held it out. Then I made out my report in my room. I said.There will be no more offensive now that the snow has come. He smiled. I would take you and never hurt you. and of which I had never heard. the major said. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. I smiled at the priest and he smiled back across the candlelight. an ambulance was waiting by the side door and inside the door.

Three hundred fives. that nothing should be lost. I wish she were here now. The frescoes were not bad. My friend motioned for him to come in. It was all as I had left it except that now it was spring.WhereMilano.Ill bring it to you. he straightened up. This machine is no good but the others march. Thats the end of it.Slit the tunic. You see Im not mad and Im not gone off. Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around.

No comments:

Post a Comment