Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I always thought he was French. He laughed.

I was away for two days at the posts
I was away for two days at the posts. This took place at B?ziers. The captain spoke pidgin Italian for my doubtful benefit.Did they scare you.At the start of the winter came the permanent rain and with the rain came the cholera.I sat on a chair and held my cap. These V. Then I floated. When he stopped swishing and fell asleep they came down and I blew them away and finally covered my face with my hands and slept too.How are you. They were a real mask. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. the trees along the road had small leaves and a breeze came from the sea. gentlemen. Bring a glass. The telescope that fitted it was.

Thank God I did not become involved with the British. and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels.Have you seen Miss BarkleyI will bring her here. It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains. We dont go out. Manera said he hoped it would come before the bombardment started.Thats splendid. They will love you like a son. There were three others to locate. I love you too much. Goodnight. We read. walking carefully in the slush. D. It was a big trench mortar shell. baby.

 They come and make you be a soldier again. Passini said still respectfully.An outside nation cant make you be a soldier. One is dead. Now they try to forget it. She was carrying a thin rattan stick like a toy riding-crop. That is very clear. He recognized me and waved a forceps.I have to get washed and report. The earth of the dugout was warm and dry and I let my shoulders back against the wall. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent.Im afraid it will make it bigger. that the office opened on. and God be with you. He loves Franz Joseph. I knew you was an American.

 Goodby. Bring a glass. Here now we have beautiful girls. yes ) with possible fracture of the skull. I got down and went over. I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; but they were all uniformly classical. I tried to tell about the night and the difference between the night and the day and how the night was better unless the day was very clean and cold and I could not tell it; as I cannot tell it now. I did not care what I was getting into. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly. Yes. Please put your hand there again.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps.Of course they dont. baby.I know how you talk. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine.

 There was another stretcher by the side with a man on it whose nose I could see.Were almost up.How are you.This is the picturesque front. There was fighting in the mountains and at night we could see the flashes from the artillery. We are war brothers. It was a big trench mortar shell. We all got up and left the table. I went out swiftly. passing on the road. I said to Gordini.Had you been engaged longEight years. You are better with her without me.Tenente. It was Miss Ferguson.How do you do I said.

Priest not happy. yes. She would not let me put my arm around her. Gordini winced and smiled.You did exactly right. The mechanics were working on one out in the yard. Driving in convoy is not unpleasant if you are the first car and I settled back in the seat and watched the country.Quite well. Nobody knew anything about it although they all spoke with great positiveness and strategical knowledge. Or shot through the shoulder. smoking.Bassi wins. I think the heat knocked me over yesterday. I said. Theres more snow there than here.We looked at each other in the dark.

 Id be glad to kiss you if you dont mind. go to hell. So were all on very special behavior. misunderstandings.Have you any cheeseThe major spoke grudgingly to the orderly who ducked back into the hole again and came out with a quarter of a white cheese. TenenteYoure damned right.Youre dirty. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. darling. You go away like this. baby. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down. ha! he said. Manera said.Like the Tchecos. Some bersaglieri.

I said I knew. Put it on the floor.Dont go.It was just beyond where we turned off.No Yes. The dead were off to one side.Do you like itVery much. They take your sisters. I said. No.Ive heard about it. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun. I know all about it now.How are you. Isnt itWhat is the stick I asked. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please.

 He started with the upright thumb and named in their order the thumb and four fingers. Nor for the beautiful uniforms. And come to morrow night. Ireland of Wisconsin.Oh.Oh. The telescope that fitted it was. I practised with it. They are all without law to protect them. It would not rip and I bit the edge of the cloth to start it.I felt it. He can be here until you are ready to take him. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth.The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. I said.

 Up the river the mountains had not been taken; none of the mountains beyond the river had been taken. a hard bright burst and flash and then gray smoke that blew across the road.Yes there is. Here now we have beautiful girls. I went on home.You sons of bitches. he said.I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin. I tried again and my legs moved a little. biting his arm. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill. it couldnt all go on. cartridges. He was goodlooking.You were sweet to tell me.You were quite right.

 There. I said. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine. He offered me a glass of cognac. he said. You are better with her without me. the smashed tunnel by the river where the fighting had been. shes very nice. The war was changed too. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead.Rinaldi looked at me blankly. I said. But its a rotten game. sometimes it backed on a turn. D. I followed his hands with my eyes.

 I say he bellows!I would like you to go to Abruzzi. Thats all I know.Ill see you in a little while. I said. Tell me really what was the best. Catherine asked me to tell you she was sorry she couldnt see you this evening. Gordini stood behind me. Everybody was in the dugouts. wop.The next afternoon I went to call on Miss Barkley again. He talks French. I said.But Scotland is England. lieutenant.Lets drop it anyway.I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty.

 He bandaged. There was more to it than that. and went in under the shed and looked at each of the cars.It was because we were scared. In a moment the blanket in front of the dressing station opened and two stretcherbearers came out followed by the tall Englishman. said the driver in Italian looking at the hernia man. and.Dont go. drunk. Didnt you refuse to be medically aided before the othersNot very firmly. I felt him in his metal box against my chest while we drove. He talks French. aint this a goddam warListen. father. He slapped the bed with his glove. It was impossible to salute foreigners as an Italian.

Well crack.Are you unwoundedWe are both wounded a little. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was. first fingers extended.This isnt a deep dugout.Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped.Somebody said you should be able to learn it in two weeks. I went on home. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand.That was a big trench mortar. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. You do not really like it. I will send the liaison officer. The major got up from the telephone. Mr. hot and dirty.

A big shell came in and burst outside in the brickyard. said Rinaldi. chemical smells and the sweet smell of blood. I saluted and went out.We two were talking while the others argued.They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was. We are war brothers. The battery fired twice and the air came each time like a blow and shook the window and made the front of my pajamas flap. Signor Tenente. she said.We walked along together through the town and I chewed the coffee. Tell me all about it.No. We work very hard but no one trusts us. The earth of the dugout was warm and dry and I let my shoulders back against the wall.No.

 They were a real mask. Why dont you go to the hospitalThey wont let me. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away. said Manera.The room I shared with the lieutenant Rinaldi looked out on the courtyard. havent youYes. poured out into the glass held with the same hand; after this course. painted gray and built like moving-vans. Dont be a bloody hero. Manera said.Im so sorry. They say so. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs. But the Italians had crossed and spread out a little way on the far side to hold about a mile and a half on the Austrian side of the river. I held her close against me and could feel her heart beating and her lips opened and her head went back against my hand and then she was crying on my shoulder. Like bridge you had to pretend you were playing for money or playing for some stakes.

 I was blown up while we were eating cheese. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away. as when a blast furnace door is swung open. English.Rinaldi went out with me.Like the Tchecos. He was walking with a limp. It cost fifteen lire. It takes a long time to be. Rome.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad. with the sun on it. thats different. Always with the girls. I went on home.That was because it was first.

 One killed and the fellow that brought you. I said. The doctors were working with their sleeves up to their shoulders and were red as butchers. I smiled at the priest and he smiled back across the candlelight. They are too stupid. looking for cuts or stone bruises. he said.Say.Tenente. I kissed her hard and held her tight and tried to open her lips; they were closed tight.Dont worry. I said. holding their chins close over the basin. There were lighted candles on the table. I always thought he was French. He laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment