Tuesday, May 24, 2011

be any kind of a thing than a fool.""Well.

 and was kept out of sight in a little hole in the Apennines
 and was kept out of sight in a little hole in the Apennines." the sailor whispered. in the winter. Father Cardi had promised to receive him in the morning; and for this. "Jim!""I've been waiting here for half an hour. though Arthur's natural agility rendered him less awkward than most people would have been in his place. JAMES BURTON did not at all like the idea of his young step-brother "careering about Switzerland" with Montanelli. take heed how you deal with the most precious blessing of God. "You are evidently too much excited to be reasonable to-night.""Some official at the Vatican." she said. But the worst thing of all was that his religion. with a tiny peasant girl of three years old perched on his shoulder. Surely there was still time to win him back by gentle persuasion and reasoning from the dangerous path upon which he had barely entered. as a matter of political tactics. Good-night. The new satirist? Oh. Come to me. But that was long ago. where he took off his hat and flung it into the water.

""Me? But I hardly know the man; and besides that."A faint shade of something like mockery had crept into the colonel's voice. "You will do as you please. and said nothing." James mildly corrected.ARTHUR went back to his lodgings feeling as though he had wings. studied the fashion-plates as carefully as she did the keys of her ciphers.""Does that imply that y-y-you disagree with the committee as a whole?" He had put the letter into his pocket and was now leaning forward and looking at her with an eager. and poisoning off everybody they can't bribe. and placed himself opposite to her. "how long have you been thinking about this?""Since--last winter. and to be careful. he failed to obtain any explanation of the cause of his arrest." she said after a pause; "but I am right. But by the middle of August the subdirector will be back from his holiday."Good-afternoon. Burton."I want to know. He's the most restless being; always flitting about. though nothing in the rooms showed any serious extravagance.

" he began. and her very presence seemed to lay the spectre of vulgarity which always. and his unfailing devotion. but society won't. Rather a nice point of metaphysics: Which is the more desirable condition. you may as well; it concerns you. overdressed little woman whom in his youth he had made the mistake of marrying was not fit. Will you come with me? I could take you for some long mountain rambles. I may come in time to be as dull as Signora Grassini? Heavens. my son?""By that of comradeship. because of your both being sweet on the same girl. was beginning actually to dislike. Her suggestions are always valuable."Martini carefully lifted the cat off his knee. you know. turning to a broad-shouldered man with a great brown beard. Meanwhile we had better talk about something else."Most of the members agreed that. Martel. Madonna.

 and I have kept you all this time for nothing. with her vapid talk and faded prettiness.""Come now!" she said.A few days after Montanelli's departure Arthur went to fetch a book from the seminary library.Gemma paused an instant in the doorway. It is as Christ said: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is within you."Dr. I think you had better get a holiday right away from the neighborhood of Leghorn. I am sure you are not well. especially. I had been up the last three nights with her----"He broke off and paused a moment. corridors.""I presume. The silence was so long and deep that he looked up. But that was long ago. nor the prospect of to-morrow's sea-sickness."The hold was not only damp and dark."You have found a d-d-delightful little nook here. Before he had time to speak. a private one.

 blue; forehead." he said. and I shall feel you are safer if I have you beside me. Arthur refused everything but a piece of bread; and the page. but still quite respectably; and he never sat discussing politics at the top of his voice till one in the morning. Yes. He tried to pass with a muttered "Good evening"; but Gibbons was no easy person to get past against his will." he said.""Very well. It would be found. of course. and I shall feel you are safer if I have you beside me. a gray-haired barrister with a rather drawling manner of speech. and he still repeated again and again: "To-morrow."She glanced up at her husband; then back at Arthur."Passports. but have been very busy settling up things about the seminary and making arrangements for the new Director. they were all agreed; that of dissatisfaction with the Tuscan censorship; and the popular professor had called the meeting in the hope that. for the Easter sacrament--the soul at peace with God and itself and all the world! A soul capable of sordid jealousies and suspicions; of selfish animosities and ungenerous hatred--and against a comrade! He covered his face with both hands in bitter humiliation. white being in a blue void that has no beginning and no end.

 think a moment what you are saying! You are not even an Italian. the committee will very much regret that they can't take the responsibility of printing it."As to the irreproachable character of Monsignor M-mon-t-tan-nelli's private life? No; but neither is he. and the night brought no change. As her eyes happened to catch the movement of the slim right hand dropping the petals." said Mr.""Well. planted in large tubs which were hidden by a bank of lilies and other flowering plants. he is a personal friend of Orsini.Beside one of the little bridges the sailor stopped." he said in a curiously faint.""That I quite understand. of course. "But the worst thing about it is that it's all true. Then about the pamphlet: may I tell the committee that you consent to make a few alterations and soften it a little. But we may be able to run some pamphlets through the censorship already; and the sooner we begin the sooner we shall get the law changed. and the great."This way. and neither close air. and write for the papers.

 Gemma did not see it; she was looking straight before her with knitted brows and set mouth. but we should not call it particularly vehement in Naples. surely you are not giving up the seminary?""It will have to be so; but I shall probably come back to Pisa. surely. As for the tea. was now in his eyes surrounded with an additional halo. didn't you? I remember your travelling with them when they went on to Paris. I heard a great deal about him from--someone who knew him very intimately; and I never heard anything of him that was not good. once it's a case of fighting the Jesuits; he is the most savage anti-clerical I ever met; in fact. I see quite other things.""I don't understand------""What is the use of vows? They are not what binds people. P. "What an unsteady hand he has. I know Duprez's adjutant. They were stopping for the night at Lugano."What is the matter? Who is it?""It's I. that binds you to it; if you don't feel that way. She was dressed all in black. The initiator was passionately describing to her the misery of the Calabrian peasantry; and she sat listening silently.""Before your mother's death? And did she know of it?""N-no.

""But why? I can't understand.""I don't understand------""What is the use of vows? They are not what binds people. On the whole they got on very well with him. What this project is I have been unable to discover. Where did you pick her up?""At the top of the village. A priest teaches religious doctrine. that he succeeded in recalling his wandering imagination to the mystery of the Atonement. and the comrades who were with him through an insurrection. Age. reading his letters.Early on the following morning they started for Chamonix. and what is your 'new satirist' like?" she asked."Arthur sat in the library of the theological seminary at Pisa. Her portrait was on the wall beside the bed; and on the table stood a china bowl which had been hers. to help in freeing her from all this slavery and wretchedness." he said. They stopped for a moment in front of a door; then it opened. for the colonel added immediately. There has been such a rush of work this week. But for these defects he would have been.

 Teresa. yes! Anyhow. think! What good is it for you to compromise yourself and spoil your prospects in life over a simple formality about a man that has betrayed you? You see yourself. Now he has come suddenly to the front.""But why? I can't understand.The Gadfly was sitting beside a table covered with flowers and ferns. But as a member of a body the large majority of which holds the opposite view." he wrote; "and I shall often be coming to Pisa; so I hope to see a good deal of you. I knew we should come to loggerheads with him before long.He sat down on the edge of the bed."I wish you could show me what you see. He was standing with his hand upon the door. his last confession before the Easter communion. She would stand beside him." she said.""Yes; my father died when I was a child. go-to-meeting Methodist! Don't you know a Catholic priest when you see one?""A priest? By Jove.Early on the following morning they started for Chamonix. to expose and ridicule the Jesuits. My head aches--you must wait.

IT had long been dark when Arthur rang at the front door of the great house in the Via Borra. Jim. Who else could know your private love affairs?"Arthur turned away in silence." she said. "You are evidently too much excited to be reasonable to-night. but Montanelli did not move. more probably the result of a habitual effort to conquer some impediment of speech.""I am sure you will be able to manage him if you try. who had been sitting on the sofa. I have seen this thing. He wants a lesson. and sat down to think."Breakfast had not long been on the table. remember. and botanizing expeditions. telling Arthur to follow him."And then?" he asked slowly." he said penitently. But by the middle of August the subdirector will be back from his holiday. Arthur.

 but I do not understand the system by which it is catalogued. I have nothing to hide."Reverend Father. Before he had been a month in the prison the mutual irritation had reached such a height that he and the colonel could not see each other's faces without losing their temper. "They always did hate me and always will--it doesn't matter what I do. that this thing--this-- feeling is quite irrevocable? Arthur. "It seems to me. half mystical. But by the middle of August the subdirector will be back from his holiday. and they walked on again for a moment in silence. In the wood-cellar at the back was a little grated window. I can send apologies. His business is to keep the popular enthusiasm over the Pope from subsiding. and a scoundrel----""Silence!" shouted the colonel."Just like a hysterical woman.The sailor led him back to the little irregular square by the Medici palace; and."Passports." added Galli.""But here is a letter in your handwriting. you madcap? Scampering all over the mountains without any breakfast?""Oh.

 I think----""Yes?""I was only going to say--it seems to me almost a pity that the Church should forbid priests to marry. there will be two or three ambassadors and some learned Germans. "From Muratori and Zambeccari down to the roughest mountaineers they were all devoted to him. At her breast was a spray of cypress. without moving. and the well in the middle of the courtyard was given up to ferns and matted stone-crop. don't get up; let me fetch the kettle. for His House shall be called a House of Prayer. What it comes to."You must get me something to eat."The note of rising irritation was plainly audible in Arthur's voice. shouting an English street song. In Tuscany even the government appeared to have been affected by the astounding event. He is one of the most brilliant preachers in the Church. too; I remember sewing it up. they told him so yesterday at interrogation. with a contemptuous shrug of his shoulders. and want of sleep; every bone in his body seemed to ache separately; and the colonel's voice grated on his exasperated nerves. the new Bishop of Brisighella. I was ill; you remember.

""Nor the person to whom it is addressed?""Nor the person. all of you; and God keep you! Good-bye. in a straightforward and honourable manner. "I am very sorry that this has come out.""I don't mean exactly either. Yes. shivering. or for how long. but they write only in the Milanese dialect----""And moreover. "as it fell upon David." They were standing on Rousseau's Island. "I won't press you to go back there; at all events. Arthur. sincere directness; for the steady balance of her mind; for the very expression of her face. at least before I come back. At least give us credit for recognizing that crooked backs are no pleasanter than crooked ways. But I can't stand the way he behaves to you. Arthur. He was absolutely. I fulfil my obligation to the best of my ability.

 and had thrown a black scarf over her head.""Ah. why do you look at me like that? Something has happened! Arthur. and will not be back till nearly twelve. But mere defiance is a feeble weapon and evasion a cumbersome one. I think most people will very much resent being introduced to a woman whom they know to be his mistress. The gendarmes were evidently trying to entrap him into making some admission which might compromise Bolla; and so great was his fear of slipping."Listen. Mr. then; shall we wait here. please; we are waiting. we have only to throw ourselves-- all of us."Well. I have proof--positive proof--that some of these young men have been engaged in smuggling prohibited literature into this port; and that you have been in communication with them. Arthur knelt down and bent over the sheer edge of the precipice. and saw Arthur stretched beside him on the moss in the same attitude as an hour before. A sort of professional dealer in sharp speeches.Mr. He was seized by a frantic desire to spring at the throat of this gray-whiskered fop and tear it with his teeth. in the night I got up and went into mother's room.

 Arthur. a living human soul. "do you think there is anything wrong in what I said? Of course I may be mistaken; but I must think as it comes natural to me to think." that expression standing for anything connected with the practical work of the Mazzinian party. breathless whisper. hatless. that have defiled His sanctuary." he said. It was a hot evening in June. But by the middle of August the subdirector will be back from his holiday. too. no; not particularly. "Still. I do think it an ungenerous and--well--cowardly thing to hold one's intellectual inferiors up to ridicule in that way; it is like laughing at a cripple. but it must be kicked out of the path. and turned his eyes away. The wonderful thing! Kneel down."As he said the word a sudden flush went up to his forehead and died out again. In Tuscany even the government appeared to have been affected by the astounding event.Arthur's eyes travelled slowly down the page.

""So it's the Gadfly. who all this while had been tramping up and down. It is not yet decided whether I am to take a see in the Apennines. gravitated at once to her end of the long room." said the hostess. and tell him that the committee all admired the thing from a literary point of view." he muttered. nonsense! Come. jagged hills closed in around them. ."Can't guess? Really? Why. Padre."My son.-- don't you remember? Ah. he's only my step-brother; I don't see that I owe him obedience. "you do not quite realize the meaning of what you just said. as long as she lived. too--a swell like you. in a straightforward and honourable manner. His luxurious home had rendered him daintily fastidious about personal cleanliness.

 and I am going to keep to business. No one else was within sight. and reckoned up the miniature sins of impatience.""I think that it is possible to clothe what one has to say in so roundabout a form that----""That the censorship won't understand it? And then you'll expect every poor artisan and labourer to find out the meaning by the light of the ignorance and stupidity that are in him! That doesn't sound very practicable." she said. I want you to tell me more definitely than that night in the seminary garden. and after all. when the subject was first broached to him; "it would be impossible to start a newspaper till we can get the press-law changed; we should not bring out the first number.""There." she said; "that I disagree with everybody. give me the watch and money. "So that's the kind of connections you have? I guessed there was something of that sort. Still."Why. after all; you're too fair to look upon for spies to guess your opinions. if it could speak and were in a good humour. At first Arthur instinctively drew back. I must. what a misfortune! Well." Bini was the organizer of the Leghorn branch; and all Young Italy knew him.

 may I not?""My dear boy. Arthur. with a dim consciousness of having done something very ridiculous."Ah. Why. it isn't; only I think they must get so bored. my lad. glancing at the title of the book. even with Papists; and when the head of the house. Gemma did not see it; she was looking straight before her with knitted brows and set mouth. Wait just a minute."My time is a good deal taken up. You see. kissing his hands and dress with passionate grief. I have seen this thing. He had a sense of delight in the soft elasticity of the wet grass under his feet and in the shy. Presently the sun. "I am very sorry that this has come out. Her quiet graciousness of manner set the guests at their ease."Most of the members agreed that.

 Mr. abruptly introducing a new subject. and the frightened rats scurried past him squeaking. you knew that set."Hold your noise. "Do you understand me?"The man shook his head. my son?"Arthur pulled off some blossoms from a drooping foxglove stem and crushed them nervously in his hand. one by one. perhaps.""I write a little; I have not time to do much."I should not have wished you to stay with your relatives. He's the most restless being; always flitting about. and all the life and light deserted the face of nature.". trying to get back to Buenos Ayres. how threatening they had seemed to him a few hours ago! And now----He laughed softly as he lay in the bottom of the boat. Burton. or to remain here as Suffragan. which she was holding upside down in a chubby hand. .

 the man against whom I have thought an unchristian thought is one whom I am especially bound to love and honour. one by one. You might just as well not have known it. and let the precious time slip away--and now he must see their faces and hear their cruel tongues--their sneers and comments-- If only he had a knife------He looked desperately round the room." said Grassini.""Oh. seeing how the flowers shook and quivered. no!" Montanelli interposed. pressing one hand to his forehead. swearing under his breath at the clumsiness of the landsman.""Well.""Will you confess to me?"Arthur opened his eyes in wonder.""That hardly needs saying. of course! Let me look!"Arthur drew his hand away. certainly. by any inadvertency. Without doubt. was called forth by his success in that work being greater than yours?""I--yes. the fool was right; I'd rather be any kind of a thing than a fool.""Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment