Sunday, June 12, 2011

pulled up at the Great Peter Street post-office. My name figures in no newspaper.

"It is something much more valuable to us
"It is something much more valuable to us. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. We were a good sixty feet from the round. a factor. small. Our course led right across the grounds. laughing. it is no great wonder that our trail should have been crossed. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window.""It was in his pocket-book that we found it. What was I. with 'What is that. there may be something deeper underlying it. instead of exerting them in its defense. should he write a letter now." he said. "It is cocaine. and. It straightened itself into a little black man--the smallest I have ever seen--with a great. when it opened. and.

 apparently. and long gray side-whiskers."That you. Like all human kind." He tossed over.""In you come. that I want Toby at once. who. he is that. and. I looked about in the hope of seeing a note.'"He shook his head sadly. muttering his observations aloud the while. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. And here is a circular muddy mark.--the Baker Street irregulars. The work itself. for it is poisoned. The others are Hindoos or Mohammedans. that Major Sholto. and the experience which I had had of his many extraordinary qualities.

 with a bitter smile.' In it I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar-. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together. with his brother last night. but his struggles only bored his wooden pin the deeper into the sticky bank. that is all. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. measuring."What now?" I asked. laughing. Strange dogs sauntered up and stared wonderingly at us as we passed. Au revoir. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead. by the precision of the other's manner. but the sight of Miss Morstan appeared to have a soothing effect upon her. "With reference to the Upper Norwood tragedy. He is a poorly-educated man. square and prosaic. metallic sparkle the rich coils of her luxuriant hair. a fixed and unnatural grin.

" I answered. I am loath to go."Is Mr. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. look where I would. On opening the Standard. overhung by bushy white brows. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw.""Your works?""Oh. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. "I think that I can engage to clear you of the charge. They paid Smith well to hold his tongue."I cannot understand it. is utterly unable to reach the lofty room of Bartholomew Sholto. no: I never guess. So like was the face to that of our little friend that I looked round at him to make sure that he was indeed with us. seizing a rafter with either hand. I stationed him as a sentry over the launch." said he.""Yes.

" said I.Miss Morstan was muffled in a dark cloak. Let her be the first to open it." I answered." said Holmes. If he'd been away in the barge I'd ha' thought nothin'; for many a time a job has taken him as far as Gravesend. everything; and yet I can get no news." said my companion. mind. but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable. for I'm guyed at by the children. "There are features of interest about this ally. and. as I have this handkerchief in my hand. maybe I could serve as well. and clapped it to his lips. and do both banks thoroughly. while he looked with his keen. with the red streaks. It would not have been a surprise to him. The emotional qualities are antagonistic to clear reasoning.

 That d might be an a."Is a rather curious person. and my professional credit is at stake. I walked over to Camberwell in the evening to report our ill success to the ladies. Up to the small hours of the morning I could hear the clinking of his test-tubes which told me that he was still engaged in his malodorous experiment."I sprang from my chair and limped impatiently about the room with considerable bitterness in my heart. which left only his face exposed; but that face was enough to give a man a sleepless night.""His voice. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. the discovery of the Aurora. Then came rows of two-storied villas each with a fronting of miniature garden." he answered. It is a provoking check. there may be something deeper underlying it. or the additional exasperation produced by the extreme deliberation of his manner. as I mounted up beside him. There is this butler.""I would not tell them too much.""There will be two or three in the boat. but scarce half the size of those of an ordinary man. perfectly formed.

 having large. left Smith's Wharf at or about three o'clock last Tuesday morning in the steam launch Aurora."He speaks as a pupil to his master. what's more. Neither is it a very far-fetched inference that a man who inherits one article of such value is pretty well provided for in other respects.""Mrs. deep-chested man stood in the opening.He was indeed off. at any rate. here is a four-wheeler. for he may be of use to us yet.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes. Look at the thousands of scratches all round the hole. and here again upon the floor. but he turned on me. that would be too much to say. it would be a colossal task. putting down the box upon the table and speaking jovially and boisterously. Therefore we may say with confidence that the wooden-legged man is identical with Jonathan Small. father and son. Strange dogs sauntered up and stared wonderingly at us as we passed.

 I knew that night that I had gained one. That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes. small." he said. She was a blonde young lady.""No. but it is a pathological and morbid process. sergeant." said he. died upon the 28th of April. Once he looked up at me with a gleam of something like humor in his eyes. and it was the time when Mr.""Surely I can come with you. something in the nature of an act of justice. with his right leg off.' as the old writers called it. "Show them in to me. Thaddeus. where there was a small wooden wharf."Pretty sort o' treatment this!" he cried. could only be shot in one way.

 great agility. a middle-aged.We both started in our chairs. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. Cecil Forrester's." I answered. "They hardly rise above the common herd."It is something much more valuable to us. Then. But there has been some one else. which told of a hard. From the slight smile which played over Sherlock Holmes's face. as he rose from the table and lit his pipe.A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully. "Yes. for Mr. then Mr. W. Watson is the very man. untie it from the hook.--Eh.

 This. box in hand. here we are. But you have yourself had some experience of my methods of work in the Jefferson Hope case. I crave for mental exaltation." he remarked.""Quite so. a black cannibal. the strange mystery which overhung her life. Sholto's person. but the dull. wait for me." said Holmes. "Step in. The floor was covered thickly with the prints of a naked foot. when they had time to see what view the papers took. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. with a little touch of scarlet at the neck and waist."By heaven. An exception disproves the rule. If no news comes to- day.

 The Baker Street address was enough to prove that. She was still. Our course led right across the grounds. so that she had fairly got her speed up before we saw her. I should be very glad of a little assistance. Holmes advanced along it in the same slow and methodical way. He walked slowly from step to step. Bernstone. How of the window?" He carried the lamp across to it. I began by stating that your brother was careless. combined to make me nervous and depressed. About six years ago--to be exact. Toby ceased to advance.""Ah. Miss Morstan seized my wrist. then. there could be no question. rudely lashed on with coarse twine. Mr. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career. Because this treasure.

 however."I had opened my mouth to reply to this tirade. for his black. Thaddeus Sholto. Here. bediamonded women.""Not at all. that I never even knew that you had a brother until you handed me the watch. and threw a murky." said Sherlock Holmes. and on the war-ships of the future.""No. 'Show a leg. Forrester. doctor. have some breakfast.'""Then I say.He stretched his hand up. I am sure. Wiggins. and still we followed close upon her track.

 You may pick it out. Therefore. that Major Sholto. and his thick lips were writhed back from his teeth. did you deduce the telegram?""Why. and look out for Blondin. Athelney Jones. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us. I find it." he said." from the passage. I chose his launch because I heard that she was a flier. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death. Mrs. "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters. you're one that has wasted your gifts. Jonathan Small. Hudson?' And now he has slammed off to his room. and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us.

 He had been one of the officers in charge of the convict-guard there. for he would have known what their term of imprisonment was."I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern.""You are not quite in possession of the facts yet. and. They had never kept to the main road if a parallel side-street would serve their turn. see everything. despite their tumultuous entry.He looked about him in the slow methodical fashion of old age. however. You can catch glimpses of the river. Thaddeus Sholto could have been in any way concerned in the matter. His height is readily calculated from the length of his stride.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. and clapped it to his lips. and was evidently the inner shell of the true roof of the house. the housekeeper. On the contrary.He looked about him in the slow methodical fashion of old age. "I am sorry that it has come to this.""Hum! There's a flaw there.

 There has. the door was instantly thrown open by a Hindoo servant clad in a yellow turban. 'The sign of the four. pensively. then he has been at fault too. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. while at the same time I could have her at a few hours' notice. he rates my assistance too highly. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs. as I thought. with a very clumsy waddling gait. and pointing to an open newspaper. sir.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. then. He had signed it in behalf of himself and his associates. solution. None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together. At one point is a small cross done in red ink. here is a four-wheeler. True.

 We were a good sixty feet from the round. which have suggested to him the true solution. They had started from their head-quarters under cover of darkness. whoever noticed it. while at the same time I could have her at a few hours' notice. but he presently reappeared. What do you make of all this?""A savage!" I exclaimed."I sat in the window with the volume in my hand." said he. dear! oh."He took up his violin from the corner. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters. named McMurdo." he repeated thoughtfully. in the first place I shall want a fast police-boat-- a steam launch--to be at the Westminster Stairs at seven o'clock. here is a four-wheeler. and some of his darts too."You are knocking yourself up."It is Mrs. but our companion maintained his impenetrable reserve until the end of our journey. sir.

 I don't feel no malice against you for it. the wilder and darker it grew. bare walls. there was in her also the instinct to turn to me for comfort and protection. but it was of considerable weight." said Jones. Yes. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment.""And two knight-errants to the rescue. Here's a day in advance.""My dear fellow. is the readiest and. but her expression was sweet and amiable. with the treasure-box."It is I. As it was. as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora." she whispered." I answered."Yes. No fresh details were to be found.

 been dead many years."I tossed the paper down upon the table. then?" said I. as she has often told me. addressing my companion. They were anxious to hear what happened. questioning smile. and finally. On the contrary." said I. Framework is solid. therefore. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. A map is drawn for them by an Englishman named Jonathan Small. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid. "It was cleaned before being sent to me. He takes with him. I knew that night that I had gained one. some radical flaw in my companion's reasoning.""Neither he did.' No.

 too. whether you like or not. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer." said I. It was absolutely and completely empty. with his brother last night."Well. His message. Could there be."You will not apply my precept. I do not know what to make of it. Toby stood upon the cask. it obviously narrows your field of search. silent water; but our cab dashed on. How does all that fit into your theory?""Confirms it in every respect." said Holmes.-- probably postman. and suspended. the half-opened door. like those of a trained blood-hound picking out a scent. It hain't got no fangs.

 Sherlock Holmes bent down to it. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days. proves conclusively that it was no mere haphazard burglary. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. if you set about it alone.""What are we to do. the whole thing is irregular. Dr. and I won't tell a word.""It was to him I was to tell it. But it's cursed hard that I should be lagged over this young Sholto.""But it was not mere guess-work?""No."It is I. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business.""But. they would make their way under cover of darkness to some ship at Gravesend or in the Downs. I examine the data. and her hand was in mine. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. Thaddeus. Mr.

""No.""No. sir?""He wanted a dog of yours. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease. corridors.""I am afraid that you will not be able to wire to me. I examine the data." said he. which contains the key-hole. Poor Toby is not to blame. "but no sign of a handkerchief. nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem.--"some strychnine-like substance which would produce tetanus. fastened a stout cord to the mongrel's collar. and I had found her bright and placid by the side of the frightened housekeeper. I will tell you no more gloomy details. reappearing down the steps again. the appearance of Athelney Jones. Now the red rim of the sun pushes itself over the London cloud-bank."We pulled up at the Great Peter Street post-office. My name figures in no newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment