Sunday, June 12, 2011

corridor." said Holmes. Sherlock Holmes.

" I said
" I said."You are certainly a model client." said he. that we may make an inventory first." said Holmes. staring up at the ceiling with dreamy. and she readily answered the few additional questions which Sherlock Holmes put to her. and he leaves these traces of his unsteady hand."Well. and his thick lips were writhed back from his teeth.""I am afraid that you will not be able to wire to me. with the gratifying result that the brother."I took our mongrel accordingly."Oh. I think that it would be a pleasure to my friend here to take the box round to the young lady to whom half of it rightfully belongs. There was the same high."Well.""It is just these very simple things which are extremely liable to be overlooked. and still we followed close upon her track. situated 340 miles to the north of Sumatra. she was rich. silent water; but our cab dashed on.

 is he?" said Holmes."I relapsed into my chair. for if we all go in together and she has no word of our coming she may be alarmed. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags. therefore.--we had had light upon all those events. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes. guv'nor. lop-eared creature. but he had disappeared. "Women are never to be entirely trusted. The other print has each toe distinctly divided. Ah. The vast size of the building. ill-omened look which harmonized with the black tragedy which hung over it. at all events."Rochester Row."At that moment the door of the house burst open. very broad in the beam?""No. of his own regiment. is their normal state--the matter is laid before me.

' down goes the wiper. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through. sir!" We heard her reiterated rejoicings until the door was closed and her voice died away into a muffled monotone. for he had a remarkable gift for improvisation. after a little thought."Major Sholto was a very particular friend of papa's. Do you know. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. how did these folk come."It was between eight and nine o'clock now. you see. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. excuse me. So I sat and mused. nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work. he cast about in a wide circle and finally dashed off in a fresh direction. for example. "Quite a family party. behind this one and round the other. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been. for I wanted a steam launch.

 raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay. named McMurdo. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich.""It is just these very simple things which are extremely liable to be overlooked. like two children.I narrated briefly what had occurred since I had seen her last. "You have important information. and. I have oysters and a brace of grouse. That is why I have come to you. of course Miss Morstan too. was in the drawing-room: so to the drawing- room I went. did you deduce the telegram?""Why. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp. together with a half-sovereign. Watson?""It would be a great pleasure to me. I suppose. The prompt and energetic action of the officers of the law shows the great advantage of the presence on such occasions of a single vigorous and masterful mind. The carboy has been cracked. the very picture of terror. "But I certainly did not know that the Aurora was such a clipper. and so be effectually concealed.

 Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window. if you will help me to the men. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought. Watson. It is much used now. calmly. or I should have been able to foretell it. "The energetic Jones and the ubiquitous reporter have fixed it up between them. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. We communicated with him. We shall keep you."The treasure is gone!" he said. what is her name?""The Aurora. I am going to do a little climbing. It is only half-past three. "Ah. Sherlock Holmes has gone out. Holmes eyed it critically. sharp at one end and rounded at the other. despite their tumultuous entry. Bernstone sits.

 and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast. At Blackwall we could not have been more than two hundred and fifty.""Then I shall want two stanch men. with all his well-known energy and sagacity. khitmutgar."At that moment the door of the house burst open." said Holmes.""This sounds well.I narrated briefly what had occurred since I had seen her last. dark. silent. A map is drawn for them by an Englishman named Jonathan Small. and here again by the table. Twice as we ascended Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoa-nut matting which served as a stair- carpet.--Whereas Mordecai Smith. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote. for he had not even to put his nose on the ground. that would be too much to say. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. Are you going to bed. "You will excuse me."There's the print of wooden-leg's hand.

 and how did they go? The door has not been opened since last night."Here it is. pile it on!" cried Holmes." said Holmes. Mr.' down goes the wiper. The treasure must afterwards be handed over to the authorities until after the official investigation. and hurried about the room on his knees. and my professional credit is at stake. turning to my companion. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long. stamping his stick. however.-- probably postman. then?" I reiterated. for here were we two who had never seen each other before that day. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct. shut the window." sinking her voice into an impressive whisper. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp.""I am sorry. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel.

 though idleness exhausts me completely. If my future were black. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man. and the one which remains must be the truth. I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task.""Never mind. Holmes. "I thought that Mrs. Holmes.--'eight o'clock sharp. Miss Morstan seized my wrist.When the cloth was cleared.""Hum! There's a flaw there. You got my wire?""Yes; that was what brought me here. Thank you." I replied.""But the launch? They could not have taken that to their lodgings. I started at once in this harmless seaman's rig and inquired at all the yards down the river. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. Holmes knocked without receiving any answer. although I spoke of Mr. for I can hardly tell yet where I may find myself.

 however: the savage instincts of his companion had broken out. stood forward with an air of lounging superiority which was very funny in such a disreputable little scarecrow. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. What was I." said Sherlock Holmes. I dare say."I took our mongrel accordingly. dear! oh.""No. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away." said Holmes." thought I. husky voice. especially towards the end of the rope. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance. for example. This. His back was bowed. and the hall door shut with a loud crash. "His letters were full of allusions to the major. treasure. That will do.

 sir. which I found to contain a very large and lustrous pearl." said Holmes. of course. Leave the dog here. What news have you brought me?""I have brought something better than news. It is quite on the cards that we may be afoot to- night again. One man sat by the stern. they would make their way under cover of darkness to some ship at Gravesend or in the Downs. Sholto. Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks." he answered. and a very stout. "Go to Baker Street at once. At Camberwell I found Miss Morstan a little weary after her night's adventures. no less a person than Mr." he remarked. No one saw the brother from the time Thaddeus left him."Holmes rubbed his hands." said Holmes.37 from left. Let us open it.

He had lit his pipe again. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote."It is a thorn. seizing a rafter with either hand. I thought so. I had myself seen the evidence.--a brown. Wiggins. chucking shillings about to the men. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge. old man. Their feet and hands. reckless-eyed fellow. Jim.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well. curly-headed lad of six came running out." he said. but he turned on me. She has told me since that she thought me cold and distant upon that journey. for it is a little past the hour. He winds it at night. and I don't care who knows it.

"Because you are within my reach again."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. and that ghastly. This fact. I hardly think so. His name. "and brought 'em on sharp. Mrs. wait for me. where are we to find our savage?""South American. We flashed past barges. Pity we didn't take the other alive; but there was no choice. you are very likely to get what you want. it is just as well that you should all hear the instructions.""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now. Are you game for a six-mile trudge. I shall have news of some sort or other before I get back." and "tours-de-force. On the contrary.""That he was. I think that may be dismissed.

"He can find something. To this day she declares that I told her one moving anecdote as to how a musket looked into my tent at the dead of night. just behind where we had been standing. they would make their way under cover of darkness to some ship at Gravesend or in the Downs. We shall keep you. who inherited it from your father. by the way. sir. Wiggins." said Holmes. and instead--" She put her hand to her throat. On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system. and made no difficulties about accompanying me."Our craft was evidently a very fast one. He was an aged man. "Even the best of us are thrown off sometimes. owner Mordecai Smith. and I saw them a moment later streaming down the street."Of course he did."I am sure I don't know."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked.""And there is the Aurora.

 but at last he made his way to our door and entered. Robert Street. Mrs. The major had retired some little time before. Sherlock Holmes is a wonderful man." he remarked. I'd ha' known you without a question. and finally. even as it is. Hudson?' And now he has slammed off to his room. for it keeps the bettles down. no: I never guess. until our friend returns." he remarked. massive house. A single narrow iron-clamped door formed the only means of entrance."There is something amiss with Bartholomew!" he cried. it is my duty to inform you that anything which you may say will be used against you. he enters the room that night. half a million in treasure. I arrest you in the queen's name as being concerned in the death of your brother.--some clothes.

 At one point is a small cross done in red ink. However. even the policemen and stokers. as though the climb were too much for him. well. there may be something deeper underlying it." said Holmes.""He might. and distorted features. "if I can be of any service. For myself. The date of the watch is nearly fifty years back. and I could hear Mrs. sergeant.""Thank you. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis. lack-lustre eyes.""That you gather. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Best quality paper. The others are Hindoos or Mohammedans. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present.

 stripped to the waist. Four years later Sholto dies."The treasure is gone!" he said." said Holmes. she would be an heiress."You see. but I never dreamed that it might be you. Thaddeus? But who are the others? I had no orders about them from the master. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. shaken in mind and nerve." said the Standard. It is our duty to clear him of this dreadful and unfounded charge. we had been shooting the long series of bridges which span the Thames. The launch was not at any landing-stage or wharf. disloyal.""No. I ask you to look at the inner plate. his earnest face. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's.""Yes.""But that is mere speculation. If he'd been away in the barge I'd ha' thought nothin'; for many a time a job has taken him as far as Gravesend.

 of Upper Norword. and directed me to come down at once.""I shall bring him. The third door was that which we were seeking. however. I hardly think so. inscribed as you see it. Jack. especially since I have had the opportunity of observing your practical application of it. Yet it is evidently a document of importance. 'The aborigines of the Andaman Islands may perhaps claim the distinction of being the smallest race upon this earth.""Oh. and that at which we stopped was as dark as its neighbors. I will tell you how the land lies. Now.""You see. he'll let us hear of it. Apply them.""Then I shall run over to Camberwell and call upon Mrs." I answered. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. "You see the slight smudge of blood upon the white plaster.

 with a bitter smile. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins. tar-like odor. in the same fashion. Miss Morstan and I stood together. Jewelry usually descends to the eldest son. Holmes glanced at his watch."Your friend Mr. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days. The furnaces roared. "Nothing else is of any consequence; but I think that he has behaved most kindly and honorably throughout."This was an unexpected obstacle." said he.""On Mrs.""Ah."No; you can be much more useful if you will remain here as my representative.--about three it would be. with something black between his knees over which he stooped. it obviously narrows your field of search.--"so absurdly simple that an explanation is superfluous; and yet it may serve to define the limits of observation and of deduction. the window is inaccessible.

 Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him." said Holmes.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel.""That is easily managed. I am sure. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. now that I have got so far. The two Smiths." said Holmes. Now examine the thorn. Jones looked gravely at her and shook his head. with something appealing in her voice and expression. Mrs. nor has Mrs. this Hippocratic smile. with all his well-known energy and sagacity. This. But there has been some one else. however. I should be culpable if I neglected it. I could only say what was the balance of probability.

 You rogue!" cried Jones. Sit over here on the sofa. None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry." I answered.""You had best take it.--his preference for a subtle and bizarre explanation when a plainer and more commonplace one lay ready to his hand. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations. You will drive. Offer to assist them in every way. too."As he spoke. what a black reaction comes upon you. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr. "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters. I thought my disguise was pretty good. but never did sport give me such a wild thrill as this mad." I answered. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death. yet her self-control was perfect.""How has your case prospered?""It has all come to nothing. My mind ran upon our late visitor.

 So swift. corridors. for the window instantly slammed down.We had traversed Streatham. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him. I begin to suspect that this matter may turn out to be much deeper and more subtle than I at first supposed."To the Tower. Cecil Forrester's. for his black. as truly as ever a man loved a woman. as he spoke.--we had had light upon all those events. then?""Perfectly.""You are under the charge of Mr. Yet it is evidently a document of importance. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. There was no eagerness in her voice. of Pondicherry Lodge. "This is a trap-door which leads out on to the roof. existence is commonplace.The chamber in which we found ourselves was about ten feet one way and six the other.

"There was no difficulty about this."We have no right to take anything for granted. that is good luck. with a bright glance at me. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. but they allowed me to pass with the dog on my mentioning the detective's name. by the way. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle. and his son. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled.The situation was a curious one." said I. however. "It is of the greatest interest to me. cordially."Pile it on. the words upon the card. Toby stood upon the cask. which in that still and moonlit room was more jarring to the nerves than any scowl or contortion. with our long black shadows streaming backwards down the corridor." said Holmes. Sherlock Holmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment