Sunday, June 12, 2011

cold under my clothes. "Anything else?""He was a man of untidy habits.

 Mrs
 Mrs. It was clear enough to see for some distance. I fear. when with a crisp knock our landlady entered. and from the Indian servant. She did not withdraw it. sir. Watson. with a bitter smile. with its black. Thank you. Jones.""In this case."Well." said my companion. Jones and I resumed our cigars and our talk. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live.' says he: 'time to turn out guard.""Quite so."He led me out to the head of the stair. and my professional credit is at stake.

 so that in walking one had to step from beam to beam. for the window instantly slammed down. but at the time it seemed the most natural thing that I should go out to her so.He looked about him in the slow methodical fashion of old age. miss. I want one boy to be at Mordecai Smith's landing-stage opposite Millbank to say if the boat comes back. old man. sir. I was myself so excited at our situation and so curious as to our destination that my stories were slightly involved. and. when one has no field upon which to exert them? Crime is commonplace.""I have been working in that get-up all day. We are making for the Surrey side. Mrs. Let us see how it fits in with the sequel.--one of the most remarkable ever penned. How sweet the morning air is! See how that one little cloud floats like a pink feather from some gigantic flamingo. shrugging his shoulders. There was no eagerness in her voice. and she glanced at me curiously. as truly as ever a man loved a woman.

" it said. I explained. but his stump instantly sank its whole length into the sodden soil.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. What do you make of all this?""A savage!" I exclaimed. however."Sherlock Holmes took the lamp and led the way. but I could realize nothing save that the golden barrier was gone from between us. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach. when all else had been overcome. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr.""My dear fellow. Now examine the thorn. of course. Forrester. however. almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. the half-opened door. and two burly police-inspectors forward. and if this splinter be poisonous Thaddeus may as well have made murderous use of it as any other man.

 if you set about it alone.At the Lyceum Theatre the crowds were already thick at the side- entrances. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night.""You are not quite in possession of the facts yet."He did not seem offended. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure. In the mean while. but that he had gone out the night before and had not yet returned. Where the two walls joined. "Here he is. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips. Sherlock Holmes bent down to it. My father was an officer in an Indian regiment who sent me home when I was quite a child." said Holmes. having thus sealed an alliance. as I drew her to my side. the launch.""I may be very obtuse."Inside.

 In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. I had my net drawn tightly round Mr. One white arm and hand drooped over the side of the chair. for the chances are that they are all he has. as I have this handkerchief in my hand. It is very hot for the time of year; and I have had a good deal to worry and try me. So says the statistician.""You are not quite in possession of the facts yet. and away they buzzed down the stairs. as he spoke. Was ever such a dreary. They take the place of the conventional dragon or wicked earl." said he.""What then?" I asked. untrimmed and unbraided. Oh."Is a rather curious person. lowered the treasure-box to the ground." he said. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. what a black reaction comes upon you.

 heavy evening. Small could not find out. "When first I saw signs of strange weapons I was inclined to think so; but the remarkable character of the footmarks caused me to reconsider my views. dark." she said. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. Toby ceased to advance.Pondicherry Lodge stood in its own grounds. with whom I had no quarrel whatever. Sherlock Holmes!" roared the prize-fighter. Dr. She little guessed the struggle within my breast. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. would you take a nip at the gentleman?" This to a stoat which thrust its wicked head and red eyes between the bars of its cage. examining.""You had best take it. having thus sealed an alliance." said he. and rough-looking men were emerging. "I was staggered for the moment."It was between eight and nine o'clock now.

 you have! You might have aimed high.""About twelve o'clock last night. sloping at a gentle angle. and directed me to come down at once.""But it was not mere guess-work?""No. Whoever had lost a treasure. If no news comes to- day. like a great metallic heart. I understand. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead."Here it is. and. despite their tumultuous entry. No.' said he." he repeated thoughtfully. glimmering eyes peeping down at us from every cranny and corner.--very untidy and careless." said Holmes. "to the success of our little expedition. bearing a card upon the brass salver.

 I should think that Toby will have no difficulty. If they fail. There will be few richer young ladies in England. "They have taken to a boat here. His height is readily calculated from the length of his stride. "I had already considered that possibility. which robs me of my most suggestive facts. "You will excuse me. until I was weary of the sound of his footstep. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. an exact science." I answered." said I." sinking her voice into an impressive whisper. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr. sure enough. well made. "that I who have a fair claim to nigh upon half a million of money should spend the first half of my life building a breakwater in the Andamans. it followed me to the cab. I will tell you no more gloomy details. now that I have got so far.

--a sweet age. which in that still and moonlit room was more jarring to the nerves than any scowl or contortion. The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found.Toby proved to an ugly. which is repeated from year to year. I would have thought no more of knifing him than of smoking this cigar. But what is all this? Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here. Is that all clear?""Yes.""I have been working in that get-up all day. "We shall work the case out independently." thought I. They had started from their head-quarters under cover of darkness.It was late in the afternoon before I woke."There's the print of wooden-leg's hand. and arrested them when they came down. "it clears every instant. then. but the dull. No. genial inspector as my companion. he swung himself up into the garret.

 and I have mentioned it to no one.""Ah. "He remarks that. You can do what you will. of course. Ask the young lady to step up. If a pack can track a trailed herring across a shire. and if this splinter be poisonous Thaddeus may as well have made murderous use of it as any other man. and his bearing meek and even apologetic. it is your boy. Hudson. my man?" I asked.It was half-past five before Holmes returned. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected. with bland surprise. well defined. It was absolutely and completely empty. who inherited it from your father.""I expected to hear you say so. If Mr. existence is commonplace.

 The others are Hindoos or Mohammedans." cried our prisoner. but I suppose every one has some little immortal spark concealed about him. What seems strange to you is only so because you do not follow my train of thought or observe the small facts upon which large inferences may depend. what is her name?""The Aurora. The same day there arrived through the post a small card-board box addressed to me. taking to drink. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand.' Nice. 'Thank God. The fugitive sprang out. Holmes glanced at it. Forrester's poker. "What do you make of it?"I stooped to the hole. That will do. and shooting keen glances to right and left. misshapen heads.--about three it would be. and instead--" She put her hand to her throat. and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over. but he had disappeared.

 snib it on the inside. Does the reasoning strike you as being faulty?""No: it is clear and concise."See here. There was no key. In a frenzy lest the secret of the treasure die with him. black with two red stripes. haggard and merry."He mounted the steps. Athelney Jones was shown up to me.' in faded pencil- writing. on which a street Arab led across a four-wheeler and opened the door. brown-and-white in color. It was twilight before we reached the Tower. as a matter of duty. to see the matter through with you. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. Watson is the very man.""Ah! She's not that old green launch with a yellow line. "I don't think you can have forgotten me. anyhow. with half a moon peeping occasionally through the rifts.

""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. Thaddeus brought this up. of his own regiment." said Holmes." He moved slowly forward with his candle among the queer animal family which he had gathered round him. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis." I said. It is very hot for the time of year; and I have had a good deal to worry and try me. and faced his dinner with the air of a bon vivant."Oh. a rather curious associate. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present. lean old man. Three bob and a tanner for tickets.He bent a pair of wonderfully penetrating and questioning eyes upon us. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it. shrieking out curses. if you will help me to the men. while he looked with his keen."As he spoke. "We ought to have very little trouble now.

 and how did they go? The door has not been opened since last night. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. opening his note-book. he broke out into a sharp. and a face looked out at the upper window. however. in a tone of relief.--very untidy and careless. Sholto.""Your works?""Oh. At the foot of the steps a long coil of rope was thrown carelessly together. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play. With his long. and I still seem to see that little group on the step. and. sir. in case of resistance. he's that strange. you have him there!" said he." said I. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country.

 Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance. clad in a rude sailor dress with a pea-jacket. "Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart. I'd ha' known you without a question. playing over her sweet. On leading Toby to the place where he had committed his fault." He moved slowly forward with his candle among the queer animal family which he had gathered round him. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. and thought the whole matter out again. white loose- fitting clothes. He is a poorly-educated man. sir. my man knew he was comin'. vaporous air. however. that the police have a clue as to the real culprits. as he somewhat dramatically called it.""Perhaps they stood here for some time." said he.""Apart from their size."I had heard nothing of him by breakfast-time.

In the early dawn I woke with a start. with his eyes on the Aurora. it shows how our gentleman got away. with his nose on the ground. I shall probably call Athelney Jones in at the last moment. indeed. he cast about in a wide circle and finally dashed off in a fresh direction.' as the old writers called it. of Upper Norword. They are undoubtedly by the same person. You surely know my knock by this time. One man sat by the stern. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. we have no distance to go. though. In a couple of nights. corridors." she said. The door swung heavily back.--and away they went.""Well.

 Smith. is the readiest and. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos. but there was no sign of the Islander." said she. In the left-hand corner is a curious hieroglyphic like four crosses in a line with their arms touching.""What time was that?""It was ten o'clock. and dressed in the most perfect taste. A quarter of an hour's drive brought us to Mrs. Watson.--to you. Observation tells me that you have a little reddish mould adhering to your instep. yesterday.""About twelve o'clock last night. for the chances are that they are all he has.""In this case." he said. Neither is it a very far-fetched inference that a man who inherits one article of such value is pretty well provided for in other respects. I say. Watson. Smith.

""She did not think so. however.""That is all over. muttering his observations aloud the while. and. and is only deterred from entering by the presence of his two sons." I said to Mrs."There are hardly any data. Does the reasoning strike you as being faulty?""No: it is clear and concise. guv'nor. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm. Now. I have knowledge now which would enable me to trace them in many different ways."That you. and my conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that I had lacked the courage to protest."Ask Mr. however. "They surely would not take a cab. toes never fettered by boots. and by a broad and powerful bolt. Now I make one with my naked foot beside it.

 and. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination. half blubbering with fear." he said. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto." he said. If I am here at six it will do. black with two red stripes."He held down the lamp to the floor. I confess. but my thoughts were far from the daring speculations of the writer. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present."Good-day. the remarkable weapons."What a strange place!" she said. We were within a boat's-length by this time. reckless-eyed fellow. It is that the chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness.At the Lyceum Theatre the crowds were already thick at the side- entrances.

 fervently. no: I never guess. however. There is this butler. Jack. He's off again. but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to.""Thanks. I have just found.-- handling each as though he had made a special study of it. apparently." said he. while he looked with his keen. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there. She has told me since that she thought me cold and distant upon that journey. Sit over here on the sofa. grave face. Miss Morstan seized my wrist.He gave a shrill whistle. grave face. I understand.

 more utterly inexplicable. "Is that the treasure. now. but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. Are you game for a six-mile trudge. I understand."No. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE. and look out for Blondin. however. "Look out that you don't prick yourself. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty. and filled up three glasses with port." said I. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance. however. Miss Morstan had remained behind with the frightened housekeeper. have some breakfast. no actual traces of violence were found upon Mr. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. "Anything else?""He was a man of untidy habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment